Welcome to the Bob Brader Blog!
This blog scares the Hell out of me! However, I have been trying to battle as many fears as I possibly can.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Dream

It’s a large black car with red interior. It’s my mom’s car, and I am driving. People are in the car, but I can’t tell how many. Lots of talking going on, but I’m not paying attention to them, I am too busy watching the road. Suddenly, I get very scared, everything starts to get dark and I feel the car fly off the road. The car is falling down a hill. It rolls, spinning around and around, it stops and we are upside-down. Everyone is screaming. Now the car is on fire, I can see the flames and feel the heat. I am trapped lying on my stomach. I can smell plastic burning; the screaming gets louder as I feel the heat on my leg. I see bodies burning and I cannot move. I can’t help them or myself. I now feel the heat on my arms, I am on fire and I know I am now about to burn. I see a huge flash of light in front of my eyes, and I wake up. This is the dream that has haunted me my whole life, and has kept me from ever learning how to drive.

On April 13th of 2010, I got my driver's license. This was a major ordeal for me. Suzanne and I realized that we were going to be doing a lot of traveling with the Theatre Company and it was really not fair that she was the only one who had a license. Even if I was not going to be doing most of the driving, at least I could help if it was needed. I went to The Grand Prix Driving School, here in New York. The instructor was amazing. His name was Aubrie and he talked to me the whole time I was behind the wheel, about everything and nothing, just kept me talking. He wanted me to focus on the road and the conversation, and not the fear. It worked, and I have my license today, all because Aubrie helped me stand up to my fear. Because of his help I was able to pass my test on the first try. I have driven many miles since I got my license, and some days I still feel scared. But I love driving, and I am going to try as hard as I can never to let fear keep me from living my life ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment